The Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) examines and investigates all types of marine accidents to or on board UK ships worldwide, and other ships in UK territorial waters.
Safety Digest 2/2014
Published 1 October 2014
The MAIB Safety Digest is a compendium of anonymous articles involving vessels from the merchant, fishing and small craft sector, which draws the attention of the marine community to some of the lessons arising from investigations into recent accidents and incidents.
Read Safety Digest 2/2014
Amy Jane Accident Investigation Report
Published 18 September 2014
The safety issues identified are:
- The fisherman did not have adequate safety equipment for single-handed operation,
- He fell overboard (the boat was not in a collision),
- The kill-cord was not used and the boat continued away from him,
- He did not give anyone a firm return time nor advise them on actions to take if he was overdue,
- He had no means to raise the alarm.
Read Accident Investigation Report
Details on our Social Policy
For detailed MAIB reports including downloadable and printable documents go to:
MAIB Safety Digests
Any requests for information received by MAIB are answered in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act 2000 or the Environmental Information Regulations 2004.
For further information go to the:
Report an accident section